Saturday, September 4, 2010

Time Management is Ubiquitous

Time Management is Ubiquitous
I was traveling to a nearby town for a seminar and was considering how much time we have spent on the way there. I found out that I could check the time on many gadgets. There was time piece on the dash board of the car in digital format. I was wearing my wrist watch from which I checked time. Fortunately I was also using my laptop (I was not the one driving though), with time on the task bar. Just to gaze at the screen I have an idea of the time. And my mobile phone was by the side porch where I could check time. My first intention was to confirm the authenticity or the consistency of the all the time pieces I had around me then.

Something else struck me when I finished check all the time pieces I had. I found out that at every point in time for an average person there are at least two time pieces for him to keep track of time. We have been graced or opportune to make sure that we are on time for all activities. I also remembered that I have clocks many rooms in my house: living room, bedroom, study, and the kitchen. I am also thinking that the restroom should also have a clock.
The dilemma is why we find it difficult to manage our time properly. How come we get to meetings late when we have our cell phone and wrist watch with the time piece on our car dash board? Does it mean that checking the time does not translate into effective tracking of time?

Time management is in-built but enhanced by tools around us. I strongly believe the concept of time management. I have delivered seminars and papers on time management. I have read a lot on the topic of time management. I really appreciate an organized lifestyle. When things, people, events are not organized, I get seriously uncomfortable. Time management is a veritable tool to help in being effectively organized.

The tools of time management such as note pads, time pieces, things-to-do apparatus, calendar, reminders on the phone, etc. Many of the phones we have today are so programmed in such a way to enhance our consciousness of time. However, no matter how sophisticated the gadgets of time management, if there is no inborn decision or impetus to be conscious, the tools will be of no effect.

People slam there alarms because they are not ready to abide the time schedule stipulated. There is a concept of body clock. There are times we get to wake up before the alarm goes off because we have ingrained in our mind the consciousness to wake up at that time.
Time management starts with the worldview paradigm shift. It is that shift that will make all the tools available relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment